Friday, February 1, 2008

And down the stretch they come..

With signing day less than a week away I thought I'd take a look at the handful of prospects Ohio State is still in the running for.

Terrelle Pryor - Jeanette PA (QB) - Not many people have heard of this 6'6" quarterback from Western Pennsylvania but some experts say he's pretty good, even drawing comparisons to Vince Young. While he's still considering Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and Penn State it likely comes down to the Buckeyes and Wolverines. While Michigan offers immediately playing time in the end I believe he winds up in Columbus because of his relationship with several Buckeye recruits, his comfort level with the Ohio State coaching staff and the chance to run a more pass oriented offense.

Keith Wells - Gainesville GA (DE) - The Buckeyes have done well in Georgia the last few years landing safety Anderson Russell, quarterback Antonio Henton and defensive lineman Cameron Heyward. Tennessee and Ohio State are in Wells' top 2 and he's scheduled to make an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. Wells speaks glowingly of Jim Tressel and he's aware of Ohio State's need for defensive ends. His speed would be a great asset to a Buckeye defense looking to replace future 1st round draft pick Vernon Gholston. In the end I believe Wells chooses the Buckeyes.

Josh Jenkins - Parkersburg WV (OG) - A one time West Virginia verbal commitment for some time now Jenkins has been thought to be the final piece of "Block O" along with fellow offensive linemen Mike Brewster, Mike Adams and JB Shugarts. Jenkins gave high marks to Florida State after a recent official visit and has a great relationship with former Mountaineer and current FSU O-line coach Rick Trickett. West Virginia is still a contender and the Mountaineers and Noles have more favorable depth charts. It's anyone's guess where Jenkins ends up however I don't think it will be Columbus.

Brandon Harris - Miami FL (CB) - Harris is one of the better corners in the country. While he had a very nice official visit to Columbus earlier in the year and says he's still considering the Buckeyes most people feel like he stays home and plays for the hometown Hurricanes. I don't disagree.

Orhian Johnson - Gulfport (FL) (ATH) - Johnson has visited Ohio State, Indiana and South Florida. While he could end up on either side of the ball the Buckeye staff has stated they would like him to play DB in Columbus. There was a question about whether Johnson had an official offer but a recent in-home visit from Jim Tressel erased any doubt. In the end I believe he stays in state and plays for the USF Bulls.

Most recruiting services list Ohio State's class somewhere among the top 10 in the nation. If the Buckeyes don't land any of these remaining prospects they will still have a great 2008 class. Sprinkle in talents like Terrelle Pryor and Keith Wells they will make a run for the top spot in the nation.

Go Bucks!

-KB, Ohio State correspondent

5 comments:

Jim Harbaugh Scramble said...

Agree with you on Pryor - I'd say 80% chance he ends up at OSU, 19% chance he ends up at UM and 1% chance (probably even lower than this) that he ends up elsewhere.

jimmyj said...

7% Ducks
38% Bucks
40% Wolverine
15% Nit. Lions
My most recent odds on 2-02-08 are more realistic than jim's IMHO.

mrnotebook said...

Shouldnt Michigan be on the top 10 list for most reqruits? Sounds to me like their getting a bunch of good players and as well as Notre Dame. And but I am not an ND Fan so I dont care but half of my family is ND Fans.All of you do a good job on this blog keep it up I look forward to more posts!

mrnotebook said...

To Jim harbaugh scramble I hope you will continue to visit my blog often. I will have new post every time.I will just a little ticked because I wasnt thinking I was getting a lot of visiters.Because I spent a lot of time on my blog. You guys here jim harbaugh scramble and others who do this blog you guys all do a fine job on this blog and I will continue to visit and look for new post. Keep up the good work dudes! I will look for more Michigan info because I am that wolverine fan.I am a fan of a variety of sports so I will have a variety of sports post on my blog.
Thanks for those times Jim that you commented on my blog and I just hope you will continue to visit my blog!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!